Emergency Management & Public Safety
The Office of Emergency Management & Public Safety is responsible for emergency responses, including 911 service, county ambulance service, and emergency planning. Sebastian County has an aggressive Training Program for the First Responders in the Rural Fire Departments. We currently have 78 First Responders in the Fire Departments; 35 are EMTs and 6 are paramedics. Funding for the department is provided by an $18 fee added to personal property tax, approved by voters in 1986.
- Emergency management, including weather alerts
- Floodplain information
- Administration of storm shelter grants [link]
- Contact for local emergency planning committee
- Managing the 911 system
- Operation of two manned ambulances
- Unit 1: staffed 24 hrs/day 7 days/week
- Unit 2: staffed 24 hrs/day 7 days/week
- Operation of 5 basic ambulances: White Bluff Fire Department, Hackett, Jenny Lind, Lavaca and Hartford.
- Support of 14 paramedic personnel
- Storm Shelter Information
- Community Emergency Response Team (CERT)