You are here:  Departments - Circuit Clerk - FAQ Clerk

Susie Hassett - email


Sebastian County
Courts Building

901 South B Street, Rm 205
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Mon - Fri: 8:00am-5:00pm

Phone: 479-782-1046
Fax: 479-784-1580

Records Office
Parker Annex
40 South 4th Street
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Mon - Fri: 8:00am-5:00pm

Phone: 479-784-1581

Greenwood Courthouse
301 E. Center, Room 103
Greenwood, AR 72936
Mon - Fri: 8:00am-5:00pm
Phone: 479-996-4175
Fax: 479-996-6885

For questions in a specific area, call 479.441.1310 and use extensions below:

Civil: #2965 or # 2951
Criminal: #2955, #2953 or #2961
Domestic Relations: #2964, #2950 or #2956
Juvenile: #2952 or # 2960
Probate: #2957 or #2951
Website Usage: #2950 or #2951

Frequently Asked Questions

Where is the Prosecuting Attorney's office?
Court’s Building, Room 209, 2nd floor, only office on the right after you get off the elevator

How do I contact the Public Defender?
40 South 4th Street, Fort Smith. The phone number is 479-785-2326

Who do I contact with questions regarding a juvenile?
You must contact the Juvenile Probation Department at 479-783-0289. We are prohibited by State law from discussing any case filed in the Juvenile Court.

How do I file for divorce?
If children are involved, it is advised you retain attorney
If no children or property, you may access and scroll down to "SELF-HELP FORMS". PLEASE DO NOT PURCHASE FORMS OVER THE INTERNET!!! These forms usually do not comply with Arkansas Law.
The filing fee is $165.00.

I've received a Summons, what do I do?
If you do not answer the Complaint/Petition in the time allotted (see summons for how many days) you may have a Default Judgment entered against you. We do have answer forms in our office. We are not attorneys and cannot advise you what to write on your answer form or what to do next.

I can't afford an attorney. How can I get one appointed to represent me?
If you are charged with a criminal offense, one may be appointed for you at your arraignment. If the case is not criminal in nature, you may check with Western Arkansas Legal Services for a list of attorneys who provide Pro Bono services. Their phone number is 479-785-5211 and they are located at 901 South 21st Street, Fort Smith, AR. You must call first, they do not take walk-ins.

How can I change my name?
You can go to to see a template of the Petition and Order for Name Change or download here.
The Petition and Order need to be on separate pieces of paper. Those are two separate documents.
The filing fee is $165.00.

How do I seal my case? Do I need an attorney?
You do not have to retain an attorney to seal your case. Forms are available on the Court Administrator’s part of this website. The filing fee is $50.00.

Child Support questions....

How do I enforce child support order?
Contact Prosecuting Attorney’s office at 479-783-8976 or the Office of Child Support Enforcement 479-471-8855

What will my ex-spouse have to pay in child support?
Go to, they have a Child Support Chart

How do I increase/decrease amount of child support?
You will have to re-open your case. It is best to retain an attorney, or you can go to to research the procedures you will need to follow to have the Court either increase or decrease your child support.

My child support is paid through the Clearinghouse, how do I contact them?
Clearinghouse 1-800-264-2445

Where do I....

File/get copies of land records
County Clerk's office, 35 South 6th Street, 1st floor 479-782-5065

File Notary Public papers
County Clerk's office, 35 South 6th Street, 1st floor 479-782-5065

Police reports
Fort Smith Police Department 479-709-5177 for accident reports or 479-709-5003 offense/theft reports

Obtain copy of birth certificate
If the person was born in Arkansas, Bureau of Vital Records 1-800-637-9314 or online [link].

Marriage license
County Clerk's office, 35 South 6th Street, 1st floor 479-782-5065

Divorce papers
Circuit Clerk's office, 901 South B #205 479-782-1046 if divorced in Ft. Smith District
If case is not open (no future court dates set) and it is more than 2 years old, contact Records Department at 479-784-1581, 40 South 4th Street, FSA.
If Divorced in Greenwood District call 479-996-4175
Copies are $1.00 per page if mailed and $.50 per page if picked up
Word-for-word from court proceeding.
If a Circuit case, Circuit Clerk's office, 901 South B #205 479-782-1046
We will only have these transcripts if the case was appealed to the Supreme Court or the Court of Appeals, otherwise you will have to contact the Court Reporter.

Driver’s license
Revenue Department 479-783-0279 to obtain license
Driver Services 479-783-2422 if your license has been suspended and/or you need a permit

Pay my fine/court costs/public defender fee
If a Circuit Court Case (felony), to the Prosecuting Attorney, 901 South B, #209 479-784-1554.
Must pay by Money Order.
If a District Court Case (misdemeanor) to the District Court, 901 South B, #103 479-784-2420 or Online

Pay on a Hot Check
Online - or - Prosecuting Attorney, 901 South B, #209. Must pay by Money Order.

File for bankruptcy
U.S. Bankruptcy Clerk 479-582-9800

Obtain a Criminal History Search
You can contact the Arkansas State Police ID Bureau at 501-618-8500
Our office does not perform Criminal Searches unless you are Petitioning the Court to Seal your record and you have the form provided by the District Court or the Court Administrator




Fort Smith Court House
35 South 6 St.
Fort Smith, AR

Justice Building
901 South B St.
Fort Smith, AR

Greenwood Courthouse
11 Town Square
Greenwood, AR 72936

Sheriff Department
800 South A Street
Fort Smith, AR  72901


©2024 Sebastian County | Web Design and Development by Local Creative Agencies |