You are here:  Property/Taxes - FAQs



Email: Zach Johnson

Email: Lora Rice

Email:  Sharon Brooks
County Clerk/Recorder

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the deadline to assess without penalty?
You may assess for personal and business January 1 through May 31 without penalty.  If deadline for assessing is not met, the State imposes a 10% penalty that cannot be removed.  Assess online [link]

If my assessment information is incorrect, what is the deadline to submit information for review?

The 3rd Monday in August

What is the deadline to submit an appeal on my appraisal to the Equalization Board?
The 3rd Monday in August

What is the deadline to complete the homestead credit application on my primary residence?
October 15 for the previous year.

When are taxes for real estate or personal property due?
Personal or Real Estate taxes are due March 1 through October 15 each year.  Any unpaid taxes after the October 15 deadline are considered delinquent and the collector assesses a 10% penalty against the taxpayer.

What is the deadline for service-connected 100% disabled veteran benefits?
Submit a VA letter by October 15th each year to receive benefits.  This is an audit requirement.

Who do I contact if my address has changed?
You must notify either the Assessor or the Collector to assure proper billing

What do I do if I have a different vehicle?
Notify the Assessor's Office by calling 479.783.8948

What is the homestead credit deadline?
October 15th.  Simply call the office at 479.784.1516 or contact us by email to have an application sent, or come by and fill one out and we will apply the credit to your home.

If I'm 65 or older or disabled, do I receive lower taxes?
If you are a home-owner and your home is your principal place of residence and you are 65 or older or disabled, you will qualify to have your property value frozen. This means that the property value on your home will not increase unless there is a millage increase of an addition to the home.  Simply bring or send us a copy of your driver’s license or any proof of age or your disability papers and we will be thrilled to apply the Freeze to your property values.  You can also contact us at 479.784.1516.

What about city liens?
City liens must be paid before or with taxes.



Fort Smith Court House
35 South 6 St.
Fort Smith, AR

Justice Building
901 South B St.
Fort Smith, AR

Greenwood Courthouse
11 Town Square
Greenwood, AR 72936

Sheriff Department
800 South A Street
Fort Smith, AR  72901


©2024 Sebastian County | Web Design and Development by Local Creative Agencies |