You are here:  Sheriff - Civil Special Services - FAQ

Cpt. Mike Conger
- email


800 South “A” Street
Fort Smith, AR, 72901

Monday through Friday
8 am to 4:30 pm

Ph: 479-783-1053


Do you take fingerprints here?  Fingerprints are taken at the jail.

What is the petition to seal process?  Forms are available on the Circuit Clerk’s [link] page of this website. The applicant must collect documents with signatures from the offices listed on the form. Some offices may charge fees for these documents; for example, the Sheriff’s Department charges $6 for this service.

Understanding Eviction

What is the eviction process?  The owner of a building must purchase a Notice to Quit for $30. The tenant will have 10 days from the date that we post the notice to pay rent or vacate the property. Evictions are posted the same day if they are filed Monday – Thursday by 3:00 pm and Fridays by noon.

Does a tenant have to pay the rent owed if they vacate?  Yes

Can the Sheriff remove a tenant?  The only way the sheriff can remove a tenant is if they haven't paid rent based on the lease agreement and the landlord has filed an eviction with the Sheriff’s Department or has orders from a judge to do so.

Can a tenant’s property be seized?  If a tenant doesn’t pay by deadline, their personal property can be seized. This includes bank accounts, jewelry, or anything that can satisfy the debt. The tenant has an option to buy the property back for the full amount paid plus 10%. Unclaimed property is sold at auction.

How do I get a personal return on served papers? Provide a self-addressed and stamped envelope to the Sebastian County Sheriff’s Department at 800 South “A” Street Fort Smith, AR 72901




Fort Smith Court House
35 South 6 St.
Fort Smith, AR

Justice Building
901 South B St.
Fort Smith, AR

Greenwood Courthouse
11 Town Square
Greenwood, AR 72936

Sheriff Department
800 South A Street
Fort Smith, AR  72901


©2022 Sebastian County | Web Design and Development by Local Creative Agencies |